High Protein Snack Ideas
You’ve been coming to Core Contour’s group fitness classes
for a while now, and your hard work is starting to pay off! With muscle soreness comes muscle gain, which increases your metabolic rate to burn more fat, and keep a toned physique! Your metabolism is at its highest within the first hour after your workout. This is the best time to refuel and replenish your muscles with healthy protein snacks. In our last blog, we started a list of healthy, high-protein snacks. We will continue the list this week.
- Edamame. A bowl of edamame will satisfy your snacking urge and provide plenty of protein.
- Yogurt. Read the label to get the one with the least sugar- they *do* sneak that in! An organic plain Greek yogurt pass the most protein with the least sugar. For a lactose/dairy free option, we suggest So Delicious Plain almond milk yogurt.
- Jerky. Our favorite is spicy buffalo jerky. It gets us the chewing we want plus it’s a portable protein.
- Shakes. Of course, we love our protein shakes. They are filling, cool, refreshing and high in protein. Make sure to read your labels on your protein powders, and select one with no more than 5 grams of sugar per serving. Jen suggests Vega’s All-In-One plant-based powders. Her favorite flavors are chocolate and coconut almond! Try sprinkling it in your yogurt or morning oatmeal to add some variety and extra protein!
- Hummus. We love to dip baby carrots in hummus…oh! the crunch!
- Veggie Burgers. Dr. Praegers veggie burger patties are a great choice for our vegetarians and are best served up with healthy fats, such as sliced avocado. It’s a quick, high protein meal to satisfy the hungry athlete!
We hope this gives you some ideas to shake up your protein shake routine on your way to your weight loss
and muscle gain goals. Of course, remember to drink plenty of water after your Megaformer workout!